You’ve earned a break – we can help with that!
- December 16, 2018
If you’re anything like us, you’re counting down to the Christmas break right about now!
It’s been a massive, busy, world-changing year for the team at Hancock Creative and we’re looking forward to a bit of downtime. We bet you are too! And so you should – you’ve earned it!
Of course, the world doesn’t stop turning when we switch off for Christmas. People still need support, animals still need homes, stories still need to be told! In fact, I read the other day that Christmas is the busiest time for social media, with many more people sharing stories and seeking support from their online villages.
So where does that leave us, as the social-media managers? Do we not get a break after all?
Well, of course we do. We need it! But we also need to be aware that our communities are continuing in the background and possibly need us more than ever.
Here are a few tips to keep things ticking over during the festive season. I hope this helps!
- Schedule, schedule, schedule! Set aside a few hours before you pack up for Christmas to schedule your posts. We schedule posts natively on Facebook, but we’ve also had good results using schedulers such as Hootsuite, Sprout Social, Later (specifically for Instagram) and Buffer. If you work across a few different platforms, now could be the time to take advantage of a 30-day free trial of these scheduling programs!
- Stay on brand. When you bulk-schedule posts, it’s easy to slip into formal and formulaic content. Avoid this! Don’t just schedule a “merry Christmas from the team!” post on December 25th. Think about what your community needs to hear on Christmas day. A story of goodwill? Advice on making it through the day? Keep your festive posts true to you as an organisation!
- Create a check-in/monitoring roster. Just because your posts are scheduled up until January 7 doesn’t mean you can ignore social media for a couple of weeks! Remember, your community will still be commenting on posts, asking questions, mentioning you in their own posts, etc. At Hancock Creative, we like to split the load between a few of the team, ensuring that at least one of us is monitoring social media every 24 hours. It doesn’t need to be labour intensive – just 10 minutes or so to keep an eye on things and reply to your community!
- Set your out-of-office reply on your email. Again, stay on brand! Be a little bit quirky if that’s in keeping with your organisation’s voice, or kind and compassionate if that’s more your style. Be you! Do the same with your voicemail.
- Empty the fridge! (We don’t want a repeat of last year with the almond milk …)
There you go! Just a few tips to ensure you get your well-deserved break over the festive season.
And, from our team to yours, please have the most wonderful and relaxing Christmas break. You’ve earned it!