Chances are you’ve at least heard of Instagram Reels by now. Reels is Instagram’s answer to TikTok and sits in a separate area of Instagram.
Reels are always videos and run for anywhere from five to 60 seconds. They are designed first and foremost to be entertaining, although education based Reels can work really well too.
So why should you care? Right now (yes, at this very moment), Instagram is prioritising Reels on the platform and that means using them can instantly increase your audience reach.
The way the Reels algorithm currently works, somebody does not have to follow you in order to see your reel. They may have interacted with other similar content, another Reel using the same audio or trend – so it is a great way to get some new eyeballs.
Reels don’t have to be complicated. Here are 5 ideas for simple, quick reels you could create today.
- Make your own version of someone else’s reel. Look at what others in your industry/sector/space are doing on reels. Take one of their reels as inspiration and create your own version with the same theme. Or, watch the Reels feed and see what songs and trends are coming up – you can replicate the idea with your own video.
- Introduce your team. Have different team members walk across the screen and wave (or some other action). You can add some fun music and put team member’s name on each clip.
- Teach something. Share a top tip or short piece of education. I recently shared a video where I talk to camera with auto-generated captions sharing one of my favourite social media tools (answerthepublic) and it has been seen by more than 1,000 people.
- Day in the life. Record 5 video snippets of what happens in your day or your organisation’s day and share as a reel. For example, if you work for guide dogs you could include dog training, feeding them, handing over a trained dog to its new owner, etc.
- Answer a FAQ. What questions do your team get asked the most about what you do or your organisation? Answer that question with a short live to camera video.
Needing help to get your first reels created? Reach out and we’ll be happy to help.